The Day – Murder trial with Fitbit evidence heads for jury selection
ROCKVILLE, AP — A second jury selection is set to begin Tuesday for the trial of a Connecticut man accused of killing his wife, whose Fitbit activity tracker is expected to be key evidence against him.
Potential jurors will be questioned in Rockville Superior Court in the murder case of Richard Dabate, who claimed his innocence.
Dabate told police a masked man shot his wife, Connie Dabate, and tied her up before burning the intruder with a torch at the couple’s home in Ellington on December 23, 2015. The two young sons of the couple were in school at the time.
But police say Connie Dabate’s Fitbit information contradicts Richard Dabate’s story, showing she was moving about an hour after he said she was killed.
Tolland State‘s Attorney Matthew Gedansky said he believes the motive for Richard Dabate’s crime was concern over a potential divorce and alienation from family and friends. Authorities said Richard Dabate had an affair, including one with a woman who was pregnant at the time of the murder.
Richard Dabate’s lawyer, Trent LaLima, said the evidence in the cases was “just an attempt to smear Mr. Dabate’s reputation”.
A jury had been chosen for the case in early 2020, before state courts were closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. A judge dismissed that jury last August, saying it had been convened too long and some jurors had left the state.
Dabate remains free on $1 million bond. Relatives said the boys were living with other family members.