The Day – The family of a man shot by a soldier sues West Haven


[ad_1]


WEST HAVEN (AP) – The family of a 19-year-old who was shot dead by police in January 2020 in a car chase sued the town of West Haven, town police and soldiers from the State involved in the case.

Attorney Mark Arons filed a lawsuit Tuesday in New Haven Superior Court, the New Haven Register reported on Friday. He said the lawsuit was necessary to preserve the two-year statute of limitations for negligence claims against the police.

The lawsuit seeks compensatory and punitive damages, attorney fees and costs, and any other relief the court may deem appropriate. The family had already filed a claim in February 2020, saying they would seek $ 10 million in undue damages from state and local police.

Brian Foley, spokesperson for the State Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, which includes Connecticut State Police, said the trial “involves civil court proceedings, over which we cannot no comment at this point “.

City offices were closed on Friday. West Haven attorney Lee Tiernan has previously said the city’s policy is not to comment on pending litigation.

Mubarak Soulemane was shot dead as a result of the car chase while sitting in the driver’s seat of a car in West Haven. His relatives and civil rights groups have called on a state prosecutor to complete the investigation and charge Private Brian North, who fired seven shots at Soulemane.

The investigation into the rare fatal shootings of a Connecticut state soldier lasted months longer than other investigations into the fatal shootings of Connecticut officers. Arons said while loved ones are frustrated, he would rather see a thorough review than a rushed review.

[ad_2]

Comments are closed.